Rounding up of reindeer
This is where you can see hundreds of reindeer on the same spot and take pictures of them. We will drive from Levi to the round up fence; the return trip will be around 150 km. We will spend the whole day outdoors, although in some places there is a reindeer herders` hut. We will witness how reindeer are driven first into the holding pen, then to the churn in several goes and finally they are caught either by hand or lasso and placed into offices depending on whether they will be released or utilized. As many may have idealized reindeer we may avoid situations where they are slaughtered although that is ultimately their destiny. During the day we will find some time to have a break to grill sausages, eat sandwiches and enjoy some hot drinks. When all of the reindeer have been caught, you have taken photos and tried out what we do, we will head back. You will be given a small present to remind you of the experience.
- DURATION: 6-8 hours.
- SIZE OF GROUP: 2-8 persons
- AVAILABILITY: second half of October – November (the round up day is difficult to predict, it is decided by the reindeer herding cooperative chief and often is announced with certainity the previous night)
- PRICE: 110 € adults, 75 € children (8-12 years of age) not suitable for younger children because of the possible harsh weather conditions. Transportation from and to Levi is included in the price.
- Cancellation fee is 18 euros.
- Cancellation more than 30 days prior the tour 100% refund –cancellation fee.
- Cancellation more than 15 days prior the tour 50% refund –cancellation fee.
- Less than 15 days prior the tour, no refund possible. Consider taking travel insurance in case of sudden illness or similar.
Come prepared for winter conditions with warm winter boots that have enough space for your socks, woolen socks (possibly knitted), mittens (not finger gloves, please) and warm under layers that should be preferably wool, fleece or similar. Try to avoid cotton as it retains moist and makes you feel cold. The outer layer should be weather proof.
Do not forget to bring a hat.
If coming for example from warm regions and do not wish to invest money into equipment you will never use afterwards, there are places where you can rent such gear (excluding thermal underlayers), one of them being snowmobile rentals in the center of Levi or at Kittilä airport.
The meeting point during the snowy period is our winter starting place at Kätkäjärvi (address: Kätkäjärventie 407, Sirkka). If navigating yourselves, use google maps (not garmin or iphone). You can get there by taxi or your car from Levi center, it will take approximately 15 minutes. Try to come some 5-10 minutes before the tour starts at most. There is no waiting room as we are in the middle of nowhere, so come with proper winter gear on. It is a private road so make sure to book before coming.
Feeding our puling reindeer at our enclosure
If you visit Levi between October and November, there is not enough snow to organize reindeer rides. If you would still like to meet the animals and our trained pulling reindeer have already returned from their summer pastures, you can come and assist us when feeding them with help of a quad bike or snowmobile. Seeing many people would frighten them, that is why only small amount of people come join us. On the way to our enclosure, which is some 60 km from Levi, we can stop at a traditional corral fence and talk about reindeer and their life round the year. When we get to our enclosure you can take photos and videos of the reindeer while we feed them. During trip we will find some time to have a break and eat sandwiches, pies and enjoy some hot drinks. You will be given a small present to remind you of the experience.
- DURATION: approximately 3-4 hours.
- SIZE OF GROUP: 2-4 persons
- AVAILABILITY: end of October – November
- PRICE: 90 € adults, 60 € children (4-12 years of age) Transportation from and to Levi is included in the price.