ROUND THE YEAR
In the wilderness landscape of Lake Hukkajärvi we organise a mock wilderness skills competition. The activities are the demanding tasks needed to survive in the Lappish wilderness, of which you may select the most suitable and apt choices for your group and the weather. Alternatives include skiing, lighting a fire, archery, shooting from an air rifle, hurling a lasso, harnessing a reindeer, estimating distance and nature questions. During breaks in this friendly competition, you might even learn something new from our reindeer herder.
- DURATION: 2-3 hours (depending on the size of the group)
- SIZE OF GROUP: 6-20
- AVAILABILITY: all year round (not btw. 24.12.-10.1.) Takes place at Hukkajärvi Lake.
- PRICE: 60€ (6-10 participants), 55€ (over 10 participants);
For groups bigger than 10 people we can organize lunches or dinners at our Wolf Lake venues
Between June and September the place can be reached by cars or mini buses, when snow comes, one needs to take a sleigh (pulled by snowmobile, for example), snowshoes or rent a snowmobile (there is a wide selection of rental companies within Levi. All food allergies need to be informed of ahead of time (preferably 2 days beforehand).
Our menu is built around local ingrediencies as much as possible. The elk, reindeer or berries in lingonberry jam or pie would be from spitting distance, if only possible.
Reduced price is for children under 12 years of age.
- Salted salmon on rye bread 10 € / 7€
- Elk burger 17€ / 12€ (praised by many)
Include bread, butter, non-alcoholic beverages, i.e. water, milk, berry juice, coffee and tea and sweet bread
- Elk casserole (oven baked pasta with minced meat) 23 € / 13 €
- Elk sauce with pickles, rice/rye rice 23 € / 13 €
- Sautéed reindeer, mashed potatoes, pickles, lingonberry jam 25 € / 15 €
- Sautéed elk with mashed potatoes or fresh pasta, pickles, lingonberry jam 25 € / 15 €
- Reindeer meat soup (with proper meat) 25 € / 15 €
- Elk lasagne 25 €/ 15 € (this meal only for groups of over 15 persons)
price if with main meal
- only for groups of over 15 persons
- Rolled berry cake 3€/ 2 €
- Berry pie 3 €/ 2€
Please let us know of all relevant food allergies when making the booking or latest 24 hours prior the tour. Our fish soup is either salmon or rainbow trout soup. Please note if allergic to either of these and inform us.
Our tours are held in English. If you wish to be guided in Finnish or Russian, please let us know ahead of time. The most basic information (safety/driving instructions for reindeer ride and ice fishing) is available in writing in French and Spanish, however, our guides do not speak those languages at all.
Pregnancy and Health Limitations
If booking a reindeer tour inform us ahead of time of any relevant health limitations (e.g. broken arm, undergone back surgery etc.) that shall be taken into consideration when selecting suitable animals for you and your family. Although each reindeer departs individually, we put an emphasis on safety and try to find a perfect match for you and your reindeer.
- Cancellation fee of 100% is charged if cancelled 12 hour(s) or less before the event
- Cancellation fee of 50% is charged if cancelled 2 day(s) or less before the event
- Cancellation fee of 20% is charged if cancelled 10 day(s) or less before the event
- Cancellation fee of 7% is charged if cancelled 365 day(s) or less before the event
- Consider taking travel insurance in case of sudden illness or similar.
Come prepared for winter conditions with warm winter boots that have enough space for your socks, woolen socks (possibly knitted), mittens (not finger gloves, please) and warm under layers that should be preferably wool, fleece or similar. Try to avoid cotton as it retains moist and makes you feel cold. The outer layer should be weather proof.
Do not forget to bring a hat.
If coming for example from warm regions and do not wish to invest money into equipment you will never use afterwards, there are places where you can rent such gear (excluding thermal underlayers), one of them being snowmobile rentals in the center of Levi or at Kittilä airport.
The meeting point during the snowy period is our winter starting place at Kätkäjärvi (address: Kätkäjärventie 407, Sirkka). If navigating yourselves, use google maps (not garmin or iphone). You can get there by taxi or your car from Levi center, it will take approximately 15 minutes. Try to come some 5-10 minutes before the tour starts at most. There is no waiting room as we are in the middle of nowhere, so come with proper winter gear on. It is a private road so make sure to book before coming.